A broken garage door spring can be a frustrating and dangerous problem. It can lead to the door being stuck in the open or closed position, or worse, it can cause the door to come crashing down unexpectedly. Fortunately, by understanding the issue, it is possible to open a garage door with a broken spring. In this article, you will learn how to open a garage door with a broken spring, the pros and cons of doing so, and what you should do afterwards.
Step-by-Step Guide to Open Garage Door with a Broken Spring
Opening a garage door with a broken spring can be tricky, but it is possible. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you get the job done:
- Disconnect the garage door opener from the door. This can be done by pressing the button on the wall or unplugging the opener.
- If the door is closed, pull the emergency release cord to open the door. This cord is usually red and is located near the garage door opener.
- Manually lift the door. This may require two people and some strength, as the spring is no longer providing the necessary tension.
- Once the door is open, prop it up with a 2×4 or other sturdy object to keep it in the open position.
Pros and Cons of Opening Garage Door with a Broken Spring
Opening a garage door manually is often a necessary solution when the spring breaks, but it is not without its drawbacks. Here are some of the pros and cons of opening a garage door with a broken spring:
- It can get you out of a bind if the door is stuck in the open or closed position.
- It can be done relatively quickly and easily.
- It requires some strength and coordination.
- It can be dangerous if the door is not properly propped up.
- It does not solve the underlying problem of the broken spring.
What to Do After Opening Garage Door with a Broken Spring
Once you have opened the garage door, it is important to take the necessary steps to fix the broken spring. Here is what you should do:
- Secure the door in the open position. This can be done using a 2×4 or other sturdy object.
- Call a professional garage door repair company. They will be able to assess the damage and replace the broken spring.
- Ensure that the garage door opener is reconnected properly. This will ensure that the door will be able to open and close safely.
- Check the other springs to make sure they are in good working condition.
Opening a garage door with a broken spring can be a tricky proposition, but it is possible. It is important to understand the pros and cons of doing so, as well as what to do after opening the door. Once the door is open, it is important to call a professional garage door repair company to replace the broken spring. This will ensure that the door is safe and secure for years to come.