A broken spring is one of the most common problems with garage doors. When the spring breaks, it makes it difficult to open and close the garage door. Fortunately, it is possible to open the garage door manually with a broken spring. In this article, we will discuss the steps involved in manually opening a garage door with a broken spring and the pros and cons of doing so.
Steps to Opening a Garage Door Manually with a Broken Spring
If you have a broken spring, it is possible to open your garage door manually. Follow these steps for opening a garage door manually with a broken spring:
1. Find the emergency release cord. This is usually located near the middle of the garage door track. Pull the cord to release the trolley from the track. You may need to use a ladder or step stool to reach the cord.
2. Once the trolley is released, you can manually lift the garage door. Make sure to lift the door evenly to prevent it from tilting or coming off the track. It may take more than one person to lift the door.
3. Once the door is open, you can disconnect the opener from the door. This will prevent the opener from trying to open the door while you are working on it.
4. Now you can inspect the springs for damage. If the springs are indeed broken, you will need to replace them in order to get the garage door to open and close properly.
The Pros and Cons of Opening a Garage Door Manually with a Broken Spring
Opening a garage door manually with a broken spring has both pros and cons. It is important to consider these before attempting to open the door manually.
The pros of opening a garage door manually with a broken spring include:
• You can get into your garage without having to wait for a repairman.
• You can inspect the springs and determine what type of repair is needed.
The cons of opening a garage door manually with a broken spring include:
• It can be dangerous if you do not know how to do it properly.
• It can be difficult to lift a heavy garage door.
• You may not be able to open the door completely.
Opening a garage door manually with a broken spring can be a difficult task, but with the right tools and knowledge, it is possible. Be sure to follow the steps outlined above and consider the pros and cons before attempting to open the door manually. It is also important to seek professional help if you are not sure how to open the door or if the springs are damaged beyond repair.