Garage door seals help keep the weather out of your garage and any pests from entering your home. They are usually made of rubber and need to be replaced every few years. Replacing your garage door seal is a relatively easy job and can be done in a few hours. In this article, you will learn how to replace your garage door seal, the pros and cons of doing it yourself, and what to look for when buying a new seal.
Step-by-Step Guide to Replacing Your Garage Door Seal
1. First, inspect your existing door seal to determine what type it is and if it needs to be replaced. Look for signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or tears in the rubber.
2. Measure the width and length of the door seal to make sure you get the right size.
3. Buy a new seal that is the same size as your old one.
4. Remove the old seal. This can be done with a knife or a screwdriver.
5. Install the new seal. This can be done with a few tools, such as a screwdriver, a drill, and a hammer.
6. Once the new seal is in place, inspect it for any signs of damage or wear and tear.
7. Test to make sure the seal is working properly.
Pros and Cons of Replacing Your Garage Door Seal
There are a few pros and cons to replacing your garage door seal. The pros include:
– Increased energy efficiency: replacing your garage door seal can help keep cold air out and warm air in, which can reduce your energy bills.
– Improved security: a new seal can help prevent pests from entering your garage and home.
– Improved curb appeal: a new seal can make your garage look better, which can increase the value of your home.
The cons include:
– Cost: replacing your garage door seal can be costly if you need to buy a new seal and the tools required to install it.
– Time: replacing your garage door seal can take a few hours, depending on the size of your door and the tools required.
– Difficulty: replacing your garage door seal can be difficult if you are not comfortable using tools.
What to Look for When Buying a New Seal
When buying a new seal for your garage door, there are a few things to consider. First, make sure the seal is the right size for your door. You can measure the width and length of your existing seal or the door itself to make sure you get the right size. Second, make sure the seal is made of durable material that can withstand the weather. Finally, make sure the seal is easy to install. Some seals come with instructions and other seals require more complex installation.
Replacing your garage door seal is a relatively easy job that can be done in a few hours. It can help improve the energy efficiency of your home, improve security, and improve curb appeal. However, it can be costly and time consuming. When buying a new seal, make sure it is the right size, made of durable material, and easy to install. With the right seal and the right tools, you can easily replace your garage door seal.